It's no secret that first impressions count, and none more so than at an interview for your next career move.
Before applying for that next step up the career ladder you may find it wise to spend time reviewing your online profile via social media channels.
You may be surprised how much is accessible!
1) Facebook Privacy Settings: If you have a Facebook profile make sure your security settings are set to high, how does your profile picture look?
2) Google yourself: Ensure that nothing inappropriate shows on Google pages, if it does visit the pages and remove the information.
3) Create a Blog: Having a blog accessible to people searching your profile can be a real winner, it shows your writing skills and knowledge of your chosen subject.
4) Linkedin Profile: Linkedin has long been the number one social media channel for business networking, make sure your profile stands out among your competitors, contribute positively to discussions and topics on Linkedin group pages that are relevant to your industry.
5) Video Content: The rise in video content in recent years is testimony to how people use the internet, creating a video stream of your skills and attributes can prove to be a powerful way of expressing not just your knowledge but your personality for potential employers.
And Finally.... If you decide to spend some valuable time reviewing your online social media profile then try to do so from the angle of the employer, would you employ yourself having looked at your online profile?